Alameda California History
The city of Alameda is one of the best kept secrets in California's Bay Area and the city consists of an original main section, with Bay Farm Island being part of the mainland proper. Oakland is a twin city, not a suburb, but it was a powerful antipode to San Francisco until the 19th century.
Eventually, the scholarship was awarded to the north and the area was marked out as a rancho, and in 1956 it was incorporated as the city of Fremont.
The county's name comes from Alameda Creek, which is in its main stream, but as early as 1795, the name was applied to a river that crossed the area, not only in the county, but also to the city of Fremont and the city of Oakland.
The peninsula became the huge Rancho San Antonio, which was awarded to Luis Peralta in 1820 by the Spanish king who claimed California. It became an important source of revenue for the San Francisco Bay Area and for San Jose and San Mateo County in general. The peninsula had become one of the most important sources of income for Los Angeles County, as it had been transferred to Luis Pinalta by the Spanish King Francisco I, who claimed California for himself in the 1820s.
Complete settlement and development followed in the 1820s, when Rancho San Antonio was built in 1826, the first settlement on the peninsula.
Alameda developed into a kind of prosperity of its own when the construction of the San Francisco - Alameda railway took place and with it the development of a city. The industries that had sprung up in the West and the sea of small working-class houses were filled and filled.
The development spilled over to neighboring cities and by 1910 the counties of Alameda and Contra Costa together surpassed San Francisco and the West Bay, including the San Mateo district, in the number of manufacturing jobs. Oakland was the fastest growing city in the US in the 1910s, rising from 67,000 to 284,000.
Among other residences, the first house built in the hamlet was a store that John Green opened on the site now occupied by the Amador Valley Hotel, where the stage between Oakland, Stockton, San Jose and Martinez swapped horses for horses. The hacienda was part of Rancho San Antonio, which covered an area the size of San Francisco and San Mateo counties and stretched across the border to the Contra Costa.
The first cannery to open was FE Booth in 1875, and three other factories were there in the early 1880s. By 1899, dozens of companies had joined together to form the Oakland-based California Fruit Canners Association. The group expanded into one of the state's leading agricultural companies, headquartered in San Francisco. A fish-packing industry began along the Sacramento River; 17 survived in 1940, according to the Amador Valley Historical Society.
Memory Lane, a self-guided trail through Victorian-era military history, takes you through the history of the Californian Indians who lived in the area at the time. The Alameda County Library operates the Montgomery Public Library, the oldest public library in California and the first in Oakland. California State Route 61 runs from the Posey - Webster Street Tubes south to Oakland Airport. Brown, an Oakland resident, has put together a two-week "Montclair" tour to serve as Oakland's Montclair district, according to his biography on his website.
The 14th California Mission is one of the oldest and largest of its kind in the United States and is located on the corner of Telegrafenallee and Broadway in Oakland, California. It was built on the site where the San Francisco Bay Bridge and the Golden Gate Bridge came to life, as far as I could see.
San Francisco was the home port of the Navy's Pacific Fleet, and the capitalists ruled Contra Costa County, which was more of an industrial colony than Oakland. ContraCosta had shown a little negligence, which helped undermine San Francisco's claim to be the "home port" of the Navy's Pacific Fleet.
For the year ending June 1, 1850, see Vallejo and San Francisco, Calkins, Hoadley, op. cit. Hinkel and McCann (op.). For the years 1851 - 1853 and 1854 - 1850 (quoting Calksins and Hoadedley's op.) see Hinke, McCann and O'Hinkel.